Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Video Treatment

I am doing my project on the issue of abelism. More specifically, I am going to focus on the issues of abelism we cannot see. I am going to have a few clips from videos that I have not yet narrowed down. I am going to make a slideshow presentation. I am going to use Xtranormal to make my video. I do not have a whole lot of experience with computers and general...I mean, I know the basics. My sister is an engineer, so seeming as I am stuck at her house until at least tomorrow, I am going to ask her to help me with this project, not the work, just the assembling of the video. I worked at Disability Services for Students, which is moving to Smith Hall over spring break. They have a ton of resources and I might use some direct quotes from them to help illustrate some of my points. No one understands the effects that disabilities have on the psyche and everyday life like Kathy Berger and Rebecca McMillian. While I am snowed in, I am going to work on it as long as the power stays on. The thing I want people to understand is that not everyone who looks "normal" or"average" is. The social implications of having a disability that no one else can see are daunting. The most helpful thing people can do sometimes is to ask questions, sometimes the most helpful thing is to let it go. The worst thing one can do is to assume that they know anyone else's situation. 

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a very interesting video. Most people are doing racism or sexism, so I am glad you are taking on ableism, as it often feels like a forgotten ism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its the privilege I struggle with so I am interested to see what info there is on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very excited to see the completed product of your project on albeism. I agree with JRR that is feels like it's a forgotten ism and I'm interested to learn more about it.

    ReplyDelete