Friday, January 21, 2011

Question O

I think to have a change for the better we need to overcome our fear of what other people think. Parents and relatives always saying to be yourself or be who you are.  I believe if someone truly is passionate about something then they will not be afraid, but we have to believe in it.  I believe issues of social justice are not for the faint of heart. I have grown up a lot in the last two years, trying to understand social justice. I find that we have to be optimistic and oppurtunistic. When an ignorant comment is made, especially if they know better, one thing we can do is to ask why they said that. I also can tell them some of the facts. Its also in the way one says things. I think I can use my humor sometimes, I'm pretty witty, not to toot my own but beep beep. I help by talking about social justice issues amongst people. I also plan bone marrow drives. I do at least 60 hours of community service a year. I think that I will leave the world a better place by example. My friend and I started Giovanni's Team at UNH 5 years ago. We have 6 potential matches which is crazy because the chances of someone being a match are 1 in 20,000. The thing I have done over the past 2 years is immerse myself in the community. One has to start small and work thei way up the ladder. I think the most realistic thing any of us can do is to immerse themselves in their community and talk to people. Become involved. That is the best way to learn from other people too. Good intentions only get us so far, fear is what holds us back.  One just has to get out there and make themselves known to the community. All the people at Waysmeet and the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs are more than willing to talk to people about issues of social justice. I learned so much just through meeting Sean, Otis, Ellen, and Larry...not to mention all of their staff and students. Also something to remember is that it is a learning process, we keep learning, one can never know all there is to know about social justice. One just has to keep on moving forward and trying to learn and be involved in their community, which is what I intend to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment