Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Feminism

Some of the myths associated with feminism are that women have to be a lesbian, masculine, angry, ugly, etc. to be a feminist. I believe feminism is a way to achieve equality between men and women. I do not think it means that women are angry at men or do not like men. I think that is ridiculous. Also, like Professor Harrison said there is an elevation of the higher class who have unearned advantages that they don't want to give up those advantages so they demonize the group trying to promote equality. It's that simple. Unfortunately, demonizing people creates a snowball effect and those being demonized can get angry, as they should. I consider myself a feminist, but I think there are a lot more out there who are afraid of the stigma. Because people are afraid of the stigma that comes with being a feminist most are unwilling to label themselves as such. I believe that feminism is being held back by people like Colbert and that unfortunate excuse for a man Limbaugh because so many people watch/ listen to them. Colbert is very funny and I actually watch him sometimes, but he's not helping anything. Like it was said in the video young girls do not want to be seen as men hating or ugly lesbians (which is also ridiculous) but I feel people are so afraid to ask anyone what feminism actually means for fear of offending somebody.

1 comment:

  1. I heard the word growing up, but to me it was just another word, and I was lucky enough to not hear the stigma around it. I wish I had asked earlier what the word meant.

    ReplyDelete