Friday, January 7, 2011

Question E

The chapter deals with people in a privileged position denying/disagreeing that they are in fact privileged. It's only been two years since I was introduced to social justice. A lot of what Johnson talks about with denying privilege sounds to me the way I used to think when I first heard the word privilege associated with white people. Privilege still sounds kind of snobby to me. I believe that is a reason why a lot of white people deny it or ignore it. Like Johnson says the mere mention of the phrase white privilege can induce eye rolling by people who are unaware. He is right, I have been met with a lot of people telling me "no that doesn't exist, it's them" meaning people of color. Johnson is right. I wish I could share this with those people because I feel that because I am a woman, disabled, and young most people I talk to are saying or thinking "she's just complaining" which is another thing Johnson mentioned. For example, the passage about how if only black kids would go to college they would be fine is another way to brush off the problem and not listen to people. I mean it is hard when people are constantly being held back by society and no matter how hard they try their are some things that they cannot change and they accept that. I don't think that giving excuses to people is an effective listening tool, especially people who do not want/need an excuse.The sad thing is that all people need to do is listen. I find it to be especially troubling that my own male friends, mostly white, won't listen and people consider them educated. I mean I used to be ignorant too but I at least gave people the time of day. That's the problem with the sense of entitlement that comes with being the highest on the privilege scale. 

5 comments:

  1. I think you got to the core of one of the main problems in society today. People need to listen to others, and actually hear what they say, instead of just putting their own labels and ideas on others words. I find as well that people laugh when you say things such as inequality or oppression, instead of actually admitting what it means in society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your post. I think it is sad too that people cannot stop to listen to one another, even the best of friends have trouble with this. Communication was a big part of my blog today too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this post. Your last words really hit me "That's the problem with the sense of entitlement that comes with being the highest on the privilege scale." This statement is so true! I also believe that with the most privileged, comes the most responsibility. Responsibility to help people with less power, privileged and those who are oppressed. Like we saw in the Stanford experiment, unfortunately people with power do not use it for good, instead they take advantage of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So True -- People with privilege need to stop and LISTEN to the voices of oppressed people. For too long, people in the dominant positions have been the ones to define and describe the discourse. As more oppressed have stepped forward in society, they have finally been able to speak for themselves, but it is still an uphill battle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for reading my post!

    ReplyDelete