Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Quick Blog #3

I have experienced privilege through class by always being able to afford brand names. I have always been able to wear the best sneakers and clothes. I had a car when I was 15 and a half to use. I did not have to worry about paying for gas, not because my mom didn't expect me to pay for it, but because I knew if  I was unable to pay for it my mom could.  I know that having the security that my mom can help me with almost anything is a privilege.There are many ways that I have experienced privilege through class, and although I try not to take advantage of it the security of having it is privilege enough, I believe.

I have a disability which requires a good deal of doctors visits and sometimes multiple bouts with physical therapy. The fact that I do not qualify for any financial aid severly hurts my mom, whom is a single parent. Not so much now, but there was a time when I needed to have 3 to 4 MRI's a year, each with a co-payment of 600 dollars. Not to mention the related doctors appointments. Also, my mom has her own health problems (we have bad genes I guess) so even with insurance and my mom having a good job that earned her upper-middle class status, we were pinching pennies and we still do but I feel like people in the middle class get a lot a disadvantaged tratment from the government.

As far as class and race go I have noticed that people tend to assume that the lighter the skin means the higher class. I say this because when talking to my moms boss makes a decent paycheck too. I was talking to her just a couple nights ago and she told me she lived in a trailer. I was shocked. Naturally when that shocked feeling hit me I recoiled and thought to myself wow that was ignorant. I mean I did not act shocked...but in my head I was like why...later in the conversation she said that she didn't need all the extra space because it was just her and her daughther and son-in-law, whom were trying to save some money, which is smart, but normally it is just her. It all makes so much sense and I was shocked at myself for being such a judgemental person in that moment. She is in the same class as me and most of my family. Its hard to get to the point where one does not have the urge to judge people, but its a process. 

















i

No comments:

Post a Comment