Monday, January 17, 2011

Process Piece and Resources

I think my project turned out pretty well, especially the video piece where I got to demonstrate a specific situation that I have witnessed.I want to do something about able ism because it is the privilege that I struggle with the most. A good deal of people have denied my disability for me. The only good that accomplished was to help me tell which of my friends were not really friends. It is horribly embarrassing to explain one's self to people who are really only acquaintances, but they see you often enough to give a look or make a comment. I just wanted to lay out some of the advantages and disadvantages to having a disability people can see and having one they cannot. I do not think that people always intend to assume things about ability and certainly no one wants to lower their opinion of someone's ability without talking to that person first.My major problem is when people argue about it when it is not their body. I feel as though people feel it is okay to judge people they deem as not that serious. I have had friends who have visible disabilities say that I am lucky no one can see mine, unless I am tired. With my video, I kind of just wanted to show the kind of assumptions people can make...I had to downsize a bit. I also wanted to drive home the point that people are so quick to judge by sight. The problem with this is that people do not know anyone's complete situation except for their own. I mean I have the privilege of being able to claim that I am able-bodied in every way. I also wanted to demonstrate how I find that people can be more accepting and empathetic towards individuals with visible disabilities until one, an individual with a virtually invisible disability, explains their situation, which should not have to happen. I am hopeful that people will come around because once we educate someone on any issue of social justice, most will be good to other people based on what they have learned, most of the time. I feel as though a lot of the things that were said in my powerpoint prove that  most of the time people just do not know.

Resources:

Johnson, Allan G. Privilege, Power, and Difference. Boston, MA: McGraw-Hill, 2006. Print.

http://www.xtranormal.com

http://www.slideshare.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment