Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Question H

I noticed that the religious oppression played out by judgement and racism. When the names were being shown over the map of the U.S in the video the people who were killed were not all Muslim. That leads me to believe that racism was the main piece in the "judgement" of the people who carried out the crimes. It is almost impossible to look at someone and determine their religion. I feel like at that time the country was just down. We did not know what was going on which is why it was wrong for the government to post pictures of people with turbins and say they did it, get them (or thats what a lot of people thought). I am not surprised at the narrowmindedness of Americans, at all. I feel like racism is at the heart of a lot of our problems in this country. The sense of entitlement that many people have is almost sickening. I am half Turkish and I know it sounds ridiculous, but I get harrassed by my narrow-minded friends and family who know and call me things such as "sandnigga" and "camel jockey" and "terrorist" which they do as a "joke." I believe that just shows how ignorant they are. I have tried to explain to them that they are not funny and its immature and inappropriate to no avail. It is so hard to break through to people who are middle aged, even young adults, I am white, too, so no one else would ever say stuff to me about being because they would look at me and assume I am Christian (I was raised Roman Catholic) ...I can only imagine what people who "look Muslim" got/still get. I feel like President Bush kind of screwed the Sihks, and anyone else who wears a turbin, over. Ife we were really "united" he would have spoke up to the nation rather than appeasing the Sihk leaders

2 comments:

  1. It saddens me to hear that you are harassed about your heritage and where you come from. Your family obviously came to America to be able to find freedom and start a new life in hopes that you will not be looked down upon because of where you come from, but yet that happens. I just don't think that's right. Like you said also, those that partake in making "jokes" don't realize that it really does hurt someone's feelings even if it may be a joke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am okay with it, because I know that they are ignorant. I just try to educate them because I am worried about people around me who might hear it and A. Be offended or hurt by it and B.I don't know my dad who is from Turkey but I feel like people don't need to hear it. I know I don't want to, the thing that really bothers me is that my friends and family know that I don't appreciate it, yet they still do it.

    ReplyDelete